Bowl to floor, or tank to bowl

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by fishkiller, Mar 16, 2010.

1. fishkiller

fishkiller New Member

Should I set the bowl to the floor first, then attach the tank to the bowl or attach the tank first and then set the combined bowl/tank? I'm sure I'll have shimming to do. I plan on dry fitting the bowl alone so I can see where the shims are needed.

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I believe most pros assemble the tank to bowl outside and carry the whole thing to the installation site. As a DIYer, I find it easier to carry the individual pieces to the bathroom and set the bowl first then install the tank. I really think it's largely a matter of personal preferance. Dry fitting the bowl first to establish the need for shims is always the best plan.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends on how strong you are and whether you have room to lay down on the floor and still reach things to thread the bolts and tighten things down. I think if you can lift it, assembly it where you have room, then install. Don't carry it with the tank cover, as it might slip off and break plus it's unnecessary weight. I'd probably leave the seat off until done, too.