Boiler settings question/problem

Users who are viewing this thread

MrSabre

Reaction score
Hello everyone, very glad I found these forums.

I have just bought a building which has 2 Olsen OMGB-250 gas boilers, with a Tekmar 264 control. The control unit has a lot of settings which are confusing even after reading through the manual. Calling the company that installed it didn't help, they didn't even show up. Anyhow, from what I can see these are the current settings:
Room temp occupied - 72 F
Design temperature - 140 F
Outdoor design temp - 0 F
Terminal unit - 4 (fin-tube convectors)

Mode - 1
I think this might be a problem since the manual states the following:
Mode 1: 4 Single stage boilers and a primary pump.
Mode 2: 2 Single stage boilers with individual boiler pumps and a primary pump.
Mode 3: 2 Lo / Hi boilers and a primary pump.
Mode 4: 1 Three stage boiler with a boiler pump and a primary pump.

The design of my unit is not even listed because I have 2 boilers (no idea how many stages) each with their own small pump, but only the first boiler has a primary pump. The second boiler's individual pump is directly attached to the hot water pipe AFTER the primary pump. Also, I have a separate boiler for DHW which is not connected in any way to this system.

Recently the temperature in one of the apartments was 55 F which is unacceptable. So I went to check the boiler temps and I found that the supply temperature target was 134 F but the current temperature of the water was only 120 F. So I increased the Design temperature to 160 F and the target was changed to 145 F, but even after a warm spell outside and checking the temperatures every day I found that the supply temperature would never rise above 121 F. I also noticed that even though the control unit says boiler 2 was on the whole time, it actually only turns on for a couple of minutes at a time. (I read another thread with the same problem that said this could indicate an air bubble or a failed pump. All pumps are working and I have bled the fin tube convectors in all 47 units and the outcome is still the same.)

Tekmar 264 manual: www.tekmarcontrols.com/images/_literature/264_d_06.pdf
Boiler manual (not very helpful with max temp settings, although does state that the boiler itself also has a control for high temps): http://www.ecrinternational.com/secure/upload/document/2427.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks