Joehsr

Reaction score
I have a Burnham Boiler K807BW with the following:
Honeywell low water cutoff RW700A
Honeywell outdoor reset T475A1008
Honeywell operating control L4006A
Honeywell Temp limit control with manual reset L4006E
Honeywell high press limit control L404C
Gordon-Piatt Sub-control #180098 ( 3”alarm, Alarm light onn flame failure. High amb Temp, high limit, high water pressure)
Portable expansion valve (vent right VR60)
Here is the problem: I came into a leaking expansion valve. I shut down the water supply and change the expansion valve and set the precharge at 12 psi. Now whenever the boiler start the pressure will rise to 35 psi and shut down the boiler triggering the alarm light. Operating temp 160deg. boiler will not relight unless I reset the pressuretrol!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't mention an expansion tank (ET), or I missed it. Any closed hydronic heating system needs an expansion tank. IF you have one, it is probably shot. If you're lucky, it's still good, but the air valve let the air leak out and you can repressurize it. Usually, though, the bladder dies and the whole thing fills with water. There must be room for the water to expand when it gets heated, and it is the ET that does it. It must be sized properly for the volume and temperature ranges of your system, but normally, you can rely on what was installed, and just replace it.

You must set the air pressure in the tank BEFORE you pressurize and close up the system, otherwise, the air pressure will be the same as the water pressure and you won't actually know what the static air pressure really is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks