blistering fiberglass tub unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Laina

Reaction score
I have two 26-yr.-old fiberglass tub/shower units that have been blistering with no visible cracks--mostly on the shower surround area--for several years and getting worse all the time. (One tub has a crack on the bottom that also needs repair.) Recently several of the blisters have started oozing small drops of a vinegar-smelling liquid (on one the liquid is amber-colored; the other is clear). Not sure what could be causing this and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Laina

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
blisters...

had a problem like this on a 65' yacht I worked on many years ago in Florida...
A problem with the original resins was the culprit.Water worked its way into the finish and formed blisters due to delamination.Liquid in blisters smelled like a strong vinegar.We had to cut out the blisters,let them dry and patch them with new fiberglass.PITA...you might be able to repair it with one of those tub repair kits the hardware stores sell.Wear eye protection when you do this.We were told the liquid in the blisters could cause permanent eye damage.(The boat owner spent alot of money with a testing company to find out what caused this back in the 70's...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks