Cleaning Black toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

buffee

Reaction score
Terrible, that I actually had to find a forum because this is driving me crazy! I have two black toilets(1200$) all of a sudden they have a white ring in them. I have tried everything to remove this ring. In the old days(white toilet) I'd fill the toilet with clorox for eight hours and that would be the end of those rings(of course white toilet/black rings...I have NEVER found one person who could tell me what I can safely clean black toilets with. If anyone can help, I'd so appreciate it. Thanks:confused:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Terrible, that I actually had to find a forum because this is driving me crazy! I have two black toilets(1200$) all of a sudden they have a white ring in them. I have tried everything to remove this ring. In the old days(white toilet) I'd fill the toilet with clorox for eight hours and that would be the end of those rings(of course white toilet/black rings...I have NEVER found one person who could tell me what I can safely clean black toilets with. If anyone can help, I'd so appreciate it. Thanks:confused:
Muriatic acid. Buy it at any hardware store or home store. Make sure there is MUCH ventilation and don't get it on your skin or in your eyes. One good method for using it in the toilet is to pour about a half gallon through a funnel down the overflow tube of your toilet's flush valve. This will dissolve mineral deposits in the bowl rim channel and clear the water holes in the rim. Leave it to do its thing for a half hour or so, then brush the toilet bowl thoroughly above and below the water line. The end result will be improved flush performance and a sparkly black bowl!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My buddy installed Black toilets in his old home years ago. They hated them. Just because they where so hard to clean. Like he ever did anyway. lol

Perhaps a sign like this outside the bathroom door might help in the future....

whipple-clean-bathrooms.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have removed built up scale with razor blades. You might try a stainless single edge razor blade. I also use these blades I have for cleaning my windows since they will flex a bit on curved surfaces. Extreme sharp on both edges so need to be very careful.

Ettore Champion Scraper 5 in. Stainless Blades

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Yes, there are safer, less toxic, more environmentally friendly ways to do this. If you want to do it quickly and THOROUGHLY, use the muriatic acid. It's now available in a "green" formula with substantially less fumes.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I had a black toilet with a white ring, I'd just leave it there for a target. Last time I used a black one I thought I was going blind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks