Black Greasy Particles in Bathtub Water!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tesone21, Aug 30, 2007.

1. tesone21

tesone21 New Member

Hi, a few months ago the water to our upstairs bathtub stopped working so my husband replaced the cartridge for the valve. Just recently, black particles are in the water now, they are smudgy if I squish one and sometimes the water makes bursting noises followed by slightly greyish water. I really need this to stop and would like to know how and why it is doing this. Thank you in advance!
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Can you tell what brand of faucet it is.This may help me help you.
  3. i remember a thread about mysterious grease particles in a tub. May have been about a year ago. Maybe someone will find it, after searching for the key words like smudge and grease and particle.

david
  4. tesone21

tesone21 New Member

The brand of faucet is Moen. It looks like it could be rubber, but how long will it take for it to run it's course and why did it happen in the first place? My husband just put more salt in the water softener and scheduled it to run tonight as usual. I feel horrible everytime I go to give my girls their baths and I have to run the water forever and clean out the spots before letting them in. Thanks again for any possible input! -Erin
  5. tesone21

tesone21 New Member

Oh, when my husband replaced the cartridge, he also installed the new faucet, but that was about 4-5 months ago and the black stuff just started a couple of days ago.
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Bingo Here;s The Answer Guaranteed

But here's the deal. You have to agree to write back after the fix.
    It was happening in the 1958 Eichler We bought. Drove My wife CRAZEY.
    On Your water heater the older braided stainless feed hoses are rubber lined.
    change them. cut open the old hot water one with a hack saw.It will be full of soft black goo[rubber] Took Me a while to find it. Never had a problem in the Master Bath down stream. You owe Me a root bear:D P S. I left the old hose at the supply house so others might learn