Black Gas Pipe --Insert T :how is it done?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by mduval, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mduval

mduval New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    I am moving my gas dryer to another wall of the laundry room. There is a gas pipe directly overhead in the ceiling that runs through the stringers. In the place where a T needs to be installed, there is only 12 inches of exposed black pipe in cramped quarters. Can a plumber cut into this short section and thread in place, add the T and the Union? I don't want to tear out more ceiling to get to the existing joints.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Threading in place is difficult, but can be done. A plumber might try to cut the pipe, then remove both sections to thread down on a vice. You will need to cut out enoght pipe to insert a left/right coupling and nipple, in addition to the tee.

There may be a better way to do this, coming with a new pipe from an available connection point.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mduval

mduval New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Is there enough room to work?

The joint on one side is buried in the ceiling, maybe 6 feet away, the joint on the other side is close, maybe only 6 inches on the other side of a stringer. An approach from another accessable end would involve too much wall tear-down. I guess I'll see what a plumber would charge for different approaches and then factor in what the wall and ceiling repairs would cost. Is 12 inches enough for these 4 pieces to fit? How much space is needed to thread in place? It is quite tight--maybe only 30 degree of swing for a wrench handle.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

12" is doable for a plumber with the right threading equipment. That is the determining factor, not the room to use a wrench.