Black Gas Pipe --Insert T :how is it done?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by mduval, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mduval

mduval New Member

I am moving my gas dryer to another wall of the laundry room. There is a gas pipe directly overhead in the ceiling that runs through the stringers. In the place where a T needs to be installed, there is only 12 inches of exposed black pipe in cramped quarters. Can a plumber cut into this short section and thread in place, add the T and the Union? I don't want to tear out more ceiling to get to the existing joints.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Threading in place is difficult, but can be done. A plumber might try to cut the pipe, then remove both sections to thread down on a vice. You will need to cut out enoght pipe to insert a left/right coupling and nipple, in addition to the tee.

There may be a better way to do this, coming with a new pipe from an available connection point.
  3. mduval

mduval New Member

Is there enough room to work?

The joint on one side is buried in the ceiling, maybe 6 feet away, the joint on the other side is close, maybe only 6 inches on the other side of a stringer. An approach from another accessable end would involve too much wall tear-down. I guess I'll see what a plumber would charge for different approaches and then factor in what the wall and ceiling repairs would cost. Is 12 inches enough for these 4 pieces to fit? How much space is needed to thread in place? It is quite tight--maybe only 30 degree of swing for a wrench handle.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

12" is doable for a plumber with the right threading equipment. That is the determining factor, not the room to use a wrench.