big decrease in hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ftcno, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ftcno

ftcno New Member

We have a Ruud Pacemaker,model PE52-2 C 50 gal unit. It was installed into a newly built house we moved into in May 2002. Just two weeks ago we could only get a half tub of hot water vs. 2+ tubs before. Also, what water we did get was REALLY hot! We adjusted by waiting about 15-20 min to repeat the process for next user. Later, I turned both thermostats up to cut down wait time, but I'm sure we're using much more electricity now to heat up same amount of water. What gives?
  2. Time to call a professional to test the heater and give you an accurate diagnosis. It's a 240 volt piece of equipment, fiddle with it wrong and you'll definately have an eye opening (and possibly permenantly eye-closing) experience.
  3. ftcno

ftcno New Member

hot water decrease

thanks for advice, and I have no intentions of opening it up. I am wondering though if a faulty part is at work here and if so could it be something modular, i.e, can be "unplugged" and replaced. Also, had solar panel company consultant meeting today coincidentally, and discussed tankless or solar heated tank. How much, approximately, to repair current tank w/ such symptoms?
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Can`t tell you how much to repair but is probily a bad element,or thermostat.
    Needs to be checked by a pro.
    BTW please do not go tankless.