Best On Demand Digital Valve?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by realthrifty, Mar 8, 2011.

1. realthrifty

realthrifty New Member

Good Afternoon,
    I am a long time lurker, first time poster on the site. I am looking to purchase a water softener for my new house in Temecula, CA. We had a softener in UT with a non digital Fleck valve that i hated and could not stand. So this time around I would like to get a digital valve. I have read that the Clack WS-1 is one of the best if not the best valve currently on the market, the only problem is that i am unable to find a local plumber that offers and installs the clack. So I coming here to get advice from you all as to what the next best valve would be. I know that i will need a 2.0cuft softener based on the calculator and i know at that size some of the valves are eliminated.

One last question, is there any benefit to the dual tank systems?

Thanks

Real Thrifty
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

What was the water test?
    Iron
    Hardness

What was it that you hated and did not like with the Fleck valve and which one was it?

Twins can save on salt, but really more so when water has a comp hardness over say 25 and there is a large family.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Plumbers usually don't do much if any water treatment, so look up local water treatment dealers in your yellow pages instead of plumbers.

Using the same type of resin and programing a two tank softener and a twin tank for the same K of capacity and lbs of salt used per regeneration and they both have the same salt efficiency. So there is no salt savings simply because you have a twin tank type softener.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If you google Clack you can probably find someone in your area that installs them.
  5. Gary Slusser

The Clack name is not used so the only way to find a softener with a Clack control on it is to look at a picture of the control and then compare it to whatever control valve is on the softener you are thinking of buying.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If I Google Clack water softening I get a whole bunch of pages.
  7. Gary Slusser

Yeah lots of web sites mention the Clack but find one that you can buy one from as someone other than a local customer.