Best Iron Filtration System?

Users who are viewing this thread

HGPRAVE

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to get some expert opinion on what is considered the best whole house iron filtration system for residential use to deal with water from a private well. The area we live has a high content of iron and I'd like to avoid the smell, taste, and the stains that come with iron. I did not do a water testing to find out specific contents of the water, is it necessary when most likely there's an iron issue?

I've seen some comments about the Katalox Light. Is that the best option or are there better options out there?

I also noticed different sizes of the filter. How do you determine what size is appropriate for a house?

Finally what would be an average cost of having a professional install the filtration system including the unit?

Any help here will be great!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Very difficult question to answer. Sort of like asking what is the best transportation method...

In general a complete water analysis is highly recommended since you are on a well and therefore you are acting as your own municipality. City water supplies are typically tested and monitored daily for safety. you should at least have your water properly tested to begin with, then at least every year or so afterwards.

Katalox light is a newer media that has really become the go to media for the higher end companies. It is highly effective, easy to work with, and usually outperforms many other medias. It is also more expensive than many other medias and may be considered overkill if the conditions are tight for less expensive medias. Usually your local water treatment company will be more able to answer that question.

Other medias include Filox, Pyrolox, Birm, MTM, Greensand, GreenSand+, and probably at least 20 more. KL is a hybrid media that performs exceptionally well but it does have the potential to raise your water pH under some conditions. Sometime this pH raise is barely noticeable, other times it is considerable.

As to the size.. this depends on the application. A larger house with higher iron with lots of people will need a much larger system than a fishing hunting cabin.

Cost of the install/unit... anywhere form $1K to $5K would be expected, again totally unanswerable without a lot more information. Like asking how much to fix a car... does it need a windshield wiper, or a new engine and tranny. Installations can range in cost from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand depending on material, length of run, trenching, pipe size, hours of labor, etc. I have installed units that the installation was in excess of 40-50 thousand dollars for some small commercial equipment, of course this was some very complex installs, but residentially I have done installs in excess of $4000 due to the amount of trenching, cement work, pipe runs etc...

Get us a lot more information and we can be of more assistance to you.

Get a good water test done. Kar labs or NTL Labs are both great places to start.

Hope this helps.,

HGPRAVE

Reaction score
Very difficult question to answer. Sort of like asking what is the best transportation method...

In general a complete water analysis is highly recommended since you are on a well and therefore you are acting as your own municipality. City water supplies are typically tested and monitored daily for safety. you should at least have your water properly tested to begin with, then at least every year or so afterwards.

Katalox light is a newer media that has really become the go to media for the higher end companies. It is highly effective, easy to work with, and usually outperforms many other medias. It is also more expensive than many other medias and may be considered overkill if the conditions are tight for less expensive medias. Usually your local water treatment company will be more able to answer that question.

Other medias include Filox, Pyrolox, Birm, MTM, Greensand, GreenSand+, and probably at least 20 more. KL is a hybrid media that performs exceptionally well but it does have the potential to raise your water pH under some conditions. Sometime this pH raise is barely noticeable, other times it is considerable.

As to the size.. this depends on the application. A larger house with higher iron with lots of people will need a much larger system than a fishing hunting cabin.

Cost of the install/unit... anywhere form $1K to $5K would be expected, again totally unanswerable without a lot more information. Like asking how much to fix a car... does it need a windshield wiper, or a new engine and tranny. Installations can range in cost from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand depending on material, length of run, trenching, pipe size, hours of labor, etc. I have installed units that the installation was in excess of 40-50 thousand dollars for some small commercial equipment, of course this was some very complex installs, but residentially I have done installs in excess of $4000 due to the amount of trenching, cement work, pipe runs etc...

Get us a lot more information and we can be of more assistance to you.

Get a good water test done. Kar labs or NTL Labs are both great places to start.

Hope this helps.,
I appreciate your response! I'll get the water tested and get back to the post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks