Best exterior paint options?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by PM5K, May 16, 2011.

1. PM5K

PM5K New Member

Looking for the best bang for the buck exterior paint. I need to replace a few pieces of 1/4 inch exterior grade plywood and I need to prep it so it can withstand the elements.

What do you guys recommend?
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I would prime with Kilz regular, not the water based stuff, then simply use an exterior latex enamel. There's several good paint companies out there but expect to pay $30 a gallon. Behr, Glidden, Sherwin Williams, etc... are all good paints. You made the best step by using exterior grade plywood, but just be sure to keep standing water away from the wood.
  3. ericburns4

ericburns4 New Member

Make sure you use a good coating of exterior paint to protect the wood. Any high quality paint should be fine.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Get the top grade of any brand. Should be 100% acrylic solids. The word "latex" on the label means there are junk ingredients other than acrylics.

Top brands like Sears and Sherwin Williams are excellent. I have been that about half the price of a gallon of those is in the national advertising budget. Around here, the smaller local brands like Frazee, Valspar etc also put out an excellent product.