Best 10 rough in toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Drewjn

Reaction score
Edit: 1/29 - Rough in is 11"
---------

Cheaper would be better, but would prefer quality. Elongated bowl, regular height and 300 usd is the max I would like to pay. Can be flexible to a degree on that last point.

So I moved into a new house with two bathrooms and I am confounded on the compact nature of the toilets, and tackiness of the bathroom fixtures they came with. Round bowls, compact and heights maybe comfy for a child. I wont mention the rest due to lack of relevancy.

Decided to go with a drake II for the one with a big rough in, but the other will likely not fit a 12. So a 10, or even less might be needed.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Couple of questions: when you say "regular height", do you mean "taller than a kiddie toilet"? Or do you mean that you DON'T want a Universal Height toilet, which is a little higher than a standard toilet, and rapidly becoming the norm?

If the former, then, yeah, the Toto Drake is a great recommendation. Quality, great flush, etc.

Then the question becomes, "How big is your rough-in?" Measure from the wall (not the baseboard) to the center of the closet bolts holding down the toilet. The Original Drake CST744S or CST744E (the first is 1.6gpf, the second is 1.28gpf; both flush great) will usually fit on 11". But if you have a baseboard, tell us how thick it is. In other words, you may not need to go to a 10" rough-in.

If you are comfortable with Universal Height, then also consider the Toto Entrada. That's a real bargain, a little cheaper than the Drake, yet has great performance. It is, however, Universal Height and needs a rough-in closer to 12" than the Drake does. We'll know if it would work if you tell us the measurements in your home.

TOTO Drake CST776CEFG.10 and CST776CSFG.10
updated 12/11/2022

index.php

index.php

They make this with a 10" bowl, CST776CEFG.10

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewjn

Reaction score
Universal or reg is fine, just don't need to go full ada. I honestly dont have any way to measure it tonight, but will update it tomorrow, when I can grab a measuring tape or ruler. I believe it is likely a 10in as the toilet is practically caulked on the wall (I did mention tacky choices of prior builder/owner).

I will update exact info tomorrow morning (6 to 8 hours ftom now).

Either way, any suggestions in my price range, if the drake is too big?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If the regular Drake is too big, there is a special 10" rough-in Drake. Reach gave us the links above. CST744EF.10 would do the trick. Universal height. With a little research, you should be able to find it for around $225-250.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll be fine with a 12" toilet, and the Drake will be a good choice. Just a note regarding toilet height. The toilets we used for many years were what we now describe as regular height. That is 14-1/2". In recent years, probably spurred by the ADA requirements, taller toilets have become increasingly popular. Now there are two taller versions. The Universal height, AKA Comfort height, at 16-1-2". The true ADA height is from 17" to 18". Just for reference, a regular dining room chair is about 17". When we are young, standing up from a low seat is no big deal, but as we age, it becomes more difficult, so unless your family is shorter than average, a Universal height should be considered.

toilet-should-havce-been-10.jpg

This should have been a 10" rough,.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most toilets are designed with a space behind them when installed on a properly installed flange (in the USA, that's generally 12" from the wall, but the other choices are 10, or 14"). HOw big that space is, is totally dependent on the manufacturer and production consistency, which will vary slightly on an item to item basis. So, you must look at the spec sheet to see what the nominal clearance is, then compare to your actual flange location, and then take into account you can fudge the toilet's installation on the flange slightly by sliding the bolts further away from the wall in the flange's slots. The outlet of the toilet must still entirely go into the flange's funnel, but it will work if it is slightly offset. The designed 'gap' behind a toilet can vary from about 1/2" to nearly 1.5", so you need to study the spec sheet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks