Bathtub vented wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

jwrunner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am replacing a bathtub in my house and upon tearing out the old one, I discovered some venting that looks incorrect to me and wanted to get some expert opinions. I have attached a sketch of the configuration. The viewing angle of the sketch is from above, looking down on the pipes. Please excuse the scale as it is way off. The 1 1/2" drain line from the tub's trap runs into the main 3" line coming from the toilet as shown. The sink also enters into this same line 3" line. The sink's vent does come off the drain vertical. Midway between the trap and the tub drain's entry into the main drain, there is a vent line that comes off the drain line with a 1 1/2" sanitary tee. What disturbs me about all this is that the vent line runs horizontal for about 2 feet until it reaches the wall, at which point it goes vertical through the ceiling. I thought that vent lines were not allowed to run horizontal until they were 6" above the flood line of the fixtures. Am I missing something, or is this really an incorrect installation? Thanks for your help.

John

Attachments

• tub-vent.jpg
    tub-vent.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 306

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, vented wrong, very wrong. You can't have a flat section of vent there.

jwrunner

Reaction score
Thanks. Am I right to assume that the toilet does not need a separate vent added? I just need to take the tub vent vertical. I am in Indiana, under 1997 UPC I think.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The fact that they did not run the vent vertical could mean that it could not be done with the way the tub drain is connected, and it should not be connected to the drain line with a sanitary tee..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks