Bathtub spigot

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Roshe, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Roshe

Roshe New Member

Howdy. I'm plumbing in a new shower/tub unit and am unsure what to use to connect the tub spigot(spout or faucet) to the mixing valve. The mixing valve is brass and was told by a local building supply to use galvanized pipe between it and the spout. I've read a lot lately about problems with different metals connected together. I was going to use brass but this place didn't have any and neither did Home Depot. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance. Roshe
  2. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I usually use copper and a male adapter. However, I always solder male adapters in if they are going to be in a wall. I just dont want to take a chance of it leaking down the road. I wouldnt ever use galvanized. I'm surprised that you couldnt find a 1/2" brass nipple of the required length though.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

spout

You can use copper if you secure the fitting in the wall. But every Home Depot I have been in has 1/2" brass nipples and elbows. They are usually hanging on a rack with the copper compression fittings and things like that.
  4. Roshe

Roshe New Member

Thank you both for the replies.
    I too, definitely don't want a leak inside the wall(or any where else for that matter). I've been repairing leaks in my daughter's place for about 4 or 5 yrs. now. It was plumbed with some kind of plastic, which I have completely removed and am redoing with cpvc(I know it's not the pro's choice, but I ain't one).
    I was surprised that brass was not available at either of the 2 local building supply stores(Home Depot being one of them). I'm in a small town in Alabama and that may be the problem. Thanks again and I will stay away from galv. Roshe