Bathtub Replacement

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by H-S-, Sep 11, 2009.

1. H-S-

H-S- New Member

Hi,

I live in an apartment and my landlord just hired someone to replace the bathtub because it was leaking (downstairs). They said it will take four days. I have a couple questions about this.

1. Why so long? Seems like a 1-day job to me?
    2. Is there any reason to worry about flooding? I have some expensive electronics lying around in my bedroom, which is just next door to the bathroom.
    3. Anything else I should know about?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The only reason I can think of is if he is going to tile things. That takes awhile to let things set up. If he uses a pre-fab'ed surround, it should not take that long.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

The bigger question is why and where it was leaking, and thus why is the tub being replaced. But removing and installing the tub is less than a day, repairing everything so you can use the shower is what takes the other three.
  4. H-S-

H-S- New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

So is there a reasonable risk that the apartment might be flooded?

Do they need to repair the shower if they replace the tub? I'm not completely sure on the details as to why they need to replace it. They just told me that it needs to be replaced and I'm just worried that it might flood my house.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

They'd likely need to shut the water off to tear things out. They would likely then cap things and turn it back on so you can use other things in the apartment using water. As long as the plumber isn't a total hack, there should be no concern about a flood.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There would be little risk of flooding the 2nd floor apt. The first floor is always at risk, and I take extreme care on the second floor so I don't cause that!