Bathtub enclosure

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rascal2, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rascal2

rascal2 New Member

I want to install a bathtub enclosure (that is, sliding glass doors at the front of the tub and a glass return on the short side to the rear wall). I find I can buy decent sliding glass doors at Lowe's or Home Depot for $250 or so. But getting a set with the glass return jumps the price to almost $1000 because the whole thing has to be special ordered. Any suggestions for a lower cost solution?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Playing with tempered glass tends to get expensive. One place that does some on-line is www.wilsonglass.com.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

enclosure

Find a local specialty shop that does bathrooms. They will either have what you want, or can fabricate it very easil, and usually a lot cheaper. For them it is a common task, not a "nuisance" like it is at HD and Lowes.
  4. rascal2

rascal2 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

Local shops wanted around $1500 to fabricate and $500 or so to install a door and what they called a "return". About the same as a special order from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Figured out the best solution is to install a post at the corner of the tub, cover it with cement board, install an in-stock sliding shower door from Lowe's or Home Depot across the long side and then install a sheet of tempered glass in the opening created on the short side of the tub. Cost of the glass is around $150 and the fittings $50.