Bathtub enclosure

Users who are viewing this thread

rascal2

Reaction score
I want to install a bathtub enclosure (that is, sliding glass doors at the front of the tub and a glass return on the short side to the rear wall). I find I can buy decent sliding glass doors at Lowe's or Home Depot for $250 or so. But getting a set with the glass return jumps the price to almost $1000 because the whole thing has to be special ordered. Any suggestions for a lower cost solution?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
enclosure

Find a local specialty shop that does bathrooms. They will either have what you want, or can fabricate it very easil, and usually a lot cheaper. For them it is a common task, not a "nuisance" like it is at HD and Lowes.

rascal2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Local shops wanted around $1500 to fabricate and $500 or so to install a door and what they called a "return". About the same as a special order from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Figured out the best solution is to install a post at the corner of the tub, cover it with cement board, install an in-stock sliding shower door from Lowe's or Home Depot across the long side and then install a sheet of tempered glass in the opening created on the short side of the tub. Cost of the glass is around $150 and the fittings $50.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks