Bathroom Sink leak at P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

dtravis2

Reaction score
Good evening.

Our bathroom sink was stinking because of all the gunk in it, so I took it apart and cleaned out the plumbing. In reassemble, I had some issues where the P-trap and some kind of accordion tube (was here when I bought the place) meet. It's basically standing water. It doesn’t leak much, unless I fill the sink with water and drain it, but it still leaks and I need to put a bucket under it to protect. This isn’t a new occurrence. I have had the bucket under the sink for a long time, but just didn’t know really how to completely rectify the situation. I have supplied a few pictures to better show the setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
IMG_1022.JPG IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1028.JPG

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing to do is get rid of the accordion piece of junk. This are really worthless. Next plumb the drain properly. You may need a 45 degree fitting and an extension tube, but it can be done.

dtravis2

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Do you have a picture or a link online showing how it can be accomplished with 45 degree fitting? I am a no plumber, but am willing to try it, just don't want to make things worse if too complex.

I also noticed last night that there is a slight drip now where the pipe enters the wall. I'm assuming the plumbing was done correctly on this. The PVC pip slides into the black tube in the wall. I put the slip joint snug and tightened the nut. Maybe I need to push the pvc in further..

IMG_1029.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The accordian piece is the likely cause of the stink because it cannot scour properly while draining, which is largely why they should never be used. None of the threaded fittings there should have any Teflon or pipe dope on them, which might be part of your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks