bathroom remodel electrical plan

Users who are viewing this thread

bigballer

Reaction score
wanted to get feeback on my crude wiring diagram i put together for my small bathroom remodel. does it appear to be sound or am i way off base??

details:

* 20A dedicated circuit
* 12/2 wiring
* outlet's will be GFCI
* double gang box will contain:
* timer unit for exhaust fan
* double switch for heat lamp and lights
* Ground wiring is not shown but each fixture/outlet/switch will be connected to ground wire
* by calculations, the 34cu box is fine for the number of conductors/size of wiring. per box specs could handle 15/12g wires.
* the scanner cut off the bottom part of hte picture, the 2 lights on the right are fed from the same switch, neutral's connected together.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• bath_layout.jpg
    bath_layout.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 955

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Looks like you are on the right track. If it were my house I would run dedicated circuit for the GFI and another for the Heat, Vent, Light.

bigballer

Reaction score
thanks dave. i cross posted this on another forum and got similar feedback. seems like the right way to go, i just need to free up some space and might need to use a tandem if permissible.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Tandem breakers are not my first choice, but I never think twice about using them when I need to.

Most times I can find a couple of lightly loaded general purpose circuits and splice them together in the panel and tie them to one breaker.

Reaction score
How is the bath currently wired? Conduit with separate conductors or cable of some sort?

Or are you running new wire back to the panel?

You seem to indicate sending line into one GFI and then out as load to the line on a second GFI, then as load again to all the other items in the bath.

I would certainly not do that.

You need one GFI, and you do not want fans and lights down stream of the GFI protection.

At minimum, because if the GFI trips and the lights go out, you are in a bind.

Absolutely you should use two circuits. But the circuit for the heat lamp and the lights could just as well also serve a bedroom or even two.

Put in one GFI, and if you want a second outlet, just make it down stream of the GFI. Read the dratted instructions.

You could pull 12/3 nm from the panel to the bath, if you are starting again. Or you could run three 12ga wires in a three wire circuit to the switch box and then split the circuit for the outlets out from the circuit for the lights and heater.

This stuff is never worth being frugal on, especially if you are doing the work. Make a point of using boxes substantially larger than you need, especially when working with 12ga and a GFI. Use a deep 4x4 with a mud ring for a single GFI. I always do even if I am working on someone else's place. I don't get contracts to wire 60 unit apartments. I don't nickle and dime. Two dollars extra times two boxes if I am done an hour earlier and the job is that much neater is a good trade for me.

I just hate stuffing 12ga into boxes that are dead minimum. Especially with a GFI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks