Bathroom Exhaust-Roof Venting Options

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bjferri, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

What are the options? I only see the low profile square metal boxes with a built in damper...would this be the best choice? I see it being covered in snow in the winter - is this a problem in the NE?

Can I PVC the exhaust out? I can put an elbow on it to prevent rainwater entry.

I'm a ************er but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks...
  2. molo

molo New Member

Good luck getting a response to this one. I posted the same question with no response. I did end up using a plastic housing with damper/flapper inside. The owner of a local reputable roof company told me that he often used them. I'm in ny state. I like your idea of going up higher out of the roof with pvc. maybe some pros will chime in. or maybe it's more of a construction/roofing site kind of q
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've had a metal (aluminimum, pre-painted black - bought it at Grainger) low-profile vent on my roof for a number of years with no problems. Now, I must admit that I only regularly use the thing in the summer to minimize the added load for the a/c. On occasion, I've used it in the winter, though. I usually leave the door open in the bathroom and the added humidity in the house just means that the humidifier doesn't have to run as much, and that action keeps the room from being too steamed up. This may not be an option if you have numerous people taking showers...I also shave in the shower, so a frosted mirror isn't a big issue either. I have a vent as part of my tubular skylight (www.solatube.com) that has a remote, in-line fan. That assembly has a damper in it, then there is a second one at the roof vent and the discharge is through a 6" insulated duct that is fairly straight (up) from the ceiling. I do not notice any cold air leaking, nor have I had any condensation dripping.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

You could run your PVC out the roof at least 1ft above put 2 90s or U bend
    plus a screen at the opening.This will give you what you want.