Bath room sink P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

y2kmurray

Reaction score
I have a bathroom connection which doesn't come from the wall ...but goes straight into the floor ...and when I TURN ON THE FAUCE water COMES UP ...its goes down slow ( 5minutes long) and water

comes out from the top of the trap

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take the drain apart and clean everything out. Then use a cannister snake ($10 at ACE) and snake out the drain as far as you can.

Replace the plastic seals where water was leaking out of the top of the trap.

If the plumbing is metal, change everything over to PVC.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you've got a plugged drain and an illegal S-trap.

It wouls still be legal if that's the way the system was originally designed and has never been remodeled. In the old days they ran a stack up the outside wall that continued as a vent after the branch lines. The drain lines for the sinks were roughed in below the floor then stubbed up through the floor and connected with an S trap. It would be illegal to rough one in now but if that is an original system it would be granfathered in. Still run into one occasionally.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It wouls still be legal if that's the way the system was originally designed and has never been remodeled.

No, it would be considered a dangerous condition. There's no code that I'm aware of that allows a known dangerous problem to exist. Methane is colorless, odorless, toxic, and deadly.

From the UPC:

"101.4.1.3 Existing Construction. No provision of this code shall be deemed to require a change in any portion of a plumbing or drainage system or any other work regulated by this Code in or on an existing building or lot when such work was installed and is maintained in accordance with law in effect prior to the effective date of this Code, except when any such plumbing or drainage system or other work regulated by this Code is determined by the Administrative Authority to be in fact dangerous, unsafe, insanitary, or a nuisance and a menace to life, health, or property."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks