Basement Plumbing Layout

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jpb123, Jan 3, 2012.

1. jpb123

jpb123 New Member

Hello,

First post here. I am currently finishing my basement and have come to the stage of laying out the bathroom/laundry room. Please see the attached drawing. My home has a lateral sewer that is either a 3" or 4" (not sure, was built in 1953). This lateral tees off to a 3" stack that serves a full bathroom above. My intention is to open up the 3" line and to install a 3" wye connection that will serve a toilet, then wye off to a 2" line that will serve a bathtube, then wye off to a 2" line that serves a shower. I will vent the shower and tub via a 2" line (can I use 1.5"?) in the vertical, the toilet in a 2" to the vertical (which will also serve as the drain for a bathroom sink), and the laundry in a 2" line. These will all tie together before going to the roof. For the laundry, I was going to remove a floor drain that connects to the horizontal lateral and install a 2" line to serve the washer and a utility sink.

Any comments on whether my plan is appropriate or suggestions for layout would be greatly appreciated. The yellow highlight is new work and the orange is existing.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• BPP.jpg
      BPP.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

You can't connect the shower and tub drain in between the toilet and it's vent.
    John
  3. jpb123

jpb123 New Member

Thanks! So I need to move the wye connection between the toilet vent and the main connection to the 3" line? Is everything else ok then?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The way it is drawn, the tub is not vented and your vent at the toilet is useless.
  5. jpb123

jpb123 New Member

Thanks for your response. I was going to drain the sink that will be located near the toilet through the 2" vent line. In regards to the tub and shower that will be adjacent to each other, what is the best way to have them share a drain line and share a vent? Would it be for the tub to drain toward the shower and then share a common drain back to the 3" main?

Thanks.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

My suggestion is to be specific with the layout of your fixture drains and then plan for every trap to have it's own vent.