basement - moving toilet drain and adding shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by moveright, Dec 1, 2009.

1. moveright

moveright New Member

New here, seems to be a wealth of info, so let's try this for a question. If this works out, I've got about a bazillion other ones:D.

My basement has a powder room which I would like to convert to a full bath. The floor is concrete as the basement is below ground. The room is very small so I will be needing to move the toilet and sink in order to add a small shower stall. Many years ago, I worked as a plumbers apprentice so I am quite familiar with moving pipes, working with copper/pvc, etc...

My question is, does a shower have a gooseneck in the drain? Also, I would obviously have to take a demo hammer to the floor and bust up the entire concrete powder room floor in order to move the toilet drain so is there any advice as to how I should plumb this stuff together or any general pointers at all?

thanks in advance.
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

All plumbing fixtures have traps.
    All plumbing fixtures need to be vented in a manner acceptable to your local authority having jurisdiction.

No one can advise you how to replumb your bathroom without knowing what is there.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Also, the shower drain needs to be 2" or larger all the way to a similar or larger drain pipe.

Look into Kerdi from www.schluter.com if you are going to tile the shower. Then, check out www.johnbridge.com for help.