Basement flor drain mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

Wh349055

Reaction score
I have a 4 unit apartment building with a basement divided in half down the middle with a covered and enclosed outdoor stair in the rear where the main clean out is.

The waste stack and the laundry tub drains (tubs now removed) all go into the main sanitary drain. When I run water I can see the flow in the clean out.

The floor drains, however, don't seem to tie into the sanitary, at least not before the clean out.

I moved a tenants washer and dryer,and I temporarily drained the washer and laundry tub into one of the floor drains. This seemed to work ok for a while but I realized when hosing out the basement and cleaning that 3 of the 4 drains work really well and 1 doesn't work so well.

They look like they had bell trap covers at one time- there appears to be a large "drum" under the drain cover and I can see water sitting in 3 of the drains. In the 4th, there is just a clay elbow with no trap. This one happens to be the one that doesn't drain well.

I have no sump pump and I assume no tie into the city storm drain, I only assume that because years ago the city poured concrete down the clay gutter leaders outside, so I assume somewhere these tie into the sanitary.

My questions are 1- how best do I snake these drains- the big "drum" underneath the cover looks like it would be impossible to navigate

2- where do these drains typically tie into the main drain

Is anyone familiar with this setup ? House was built in '28

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 191
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks