basement bathroom venting

Users who are viewing this thread

ada gott

Reaction score
My daughter's 2 story house was built in 2005 or 2006 with stub for basement bathroom. (1) 4 inch stub(stool) and (2) 2 inch stub connected together under the concrete floor with no traps between.(shower and vanity)

PROBLRM.!! I can not determine best solution to vent the vanity and shower.
The stack from upper levels have the drops 1 on the NE corner and 1 on the SE corner. The basement stub is in the concrete near the West wall approx center North to South.
A steel beam travels the center from North to South, with the floor joists going East to West and the heat ducting following along this beam.

The only vent drop found is in the NE corner.

The only way I can see to vent the shower and vanity is to connect these 2 vents together at the highest possible point(bottom of the floor joists) and connect to horozontal for approx 15 feet to get to the drop near the NE corner.
There is no vent at the basement stub that can go through an outside wall due to an overhanging kitchen above the basement stub.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do have to connect to the vent where it is. It is okay for the vent to travel horizontally at any point 6" above the flood rim of the basement fixtures. ( meaning about 43" above the floor). Just make sure there are no bellies, and the pipe slopes at least slightly back towards the drain.

ada gott

Reaction score
This sounds good. In the 14 or so feet the vent needs to be horozintal, how much slope is necessary. Can it be 1-2 inch slope, or is more necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Horizontal vent runs should have the same slope as a drain - 1/4"/foot so if there's any condensation or rain or whatever in them, it will drain out and not obstruct the pipe.

ada gott

Reaction score
That is 4 inches for a 16 foot distance.
That does not seem logical with the builder's placement of the basement stub. What builder would place a stub that would require approx 4 inch drop to get to the stub?

The logical place for the basement stub would be close or under the vent drop, but then the bathroom would need to be placed over the sump pump pit.!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks