banging steam pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
i have a one pipe heating system in a house bult in the 1920's. I noticed at times the pipes bang...extremely loud. My plumber told me it was due to the pitch of the pipes. In a rental i have it does the same thing. Why does it do this and what is the fix???...Thanks so much

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have a water level gauge? you should have a glass gauge in the side of the boiler and the level of water in there should be about 3/4 the way to the top of the glass. If you don't see a water line, the water may be too high and then you would drain enough water out till you get the proper water level.
If the water level is high or a radiator vent is plugged and won't allow the water to drain back to the boiler.
You can get pounding when the steam is trying to get by high water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
banging

You get banging when the steam contacts water in the pipe and condenses violently. It can be caused by improper pitch trapping the normal condensate on its way back to the boiler, or if you have "wet steam" the excess water will do the same thing.

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
thanks plum.. the site glass is 1/4 full of water.. if i can hear hissing from the vents ill assume that they are not blocked...correct??...
Is this banging a problem??.. i could live with it as long as it's not hurting the system... the sound is so loud and violent...it seems like it's doing damage..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks