Ballpark figure for new siding and roof, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As stated before I am a single female homeowner living in the New England area. My home is a small Cape Cod style home. It has the original roof along with the original wood shingles.

My question is: Can someone provide me with a ballpark figure of what it would cost to install new vinyl siding and to install new roof shingles...this estimate would include removing both wood and roof shingles.

note: some contractors dont want to remove wood and roof shingles but just go over the existing.

. . . . . other contractors will remove wood shingles but not the roof shingles.

From the replies I got yesterday it seems like the logical thing to do is to remove both the wood shingles and the roofing shingles.

I would appreciate your responses.

:confused:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Listen, no offense, but... you don't need to start a new thread every time.

Price are impossible to give over the internet. None of us can see you house, or know what the various regulationas are in your area, or how much a dumpster cost, or what the going rates for labor are... all of that stuff varies tremendously depending on where you are.

Get a bunch of contractors to look at it - the usual rule is a minimum of 3 - in your case, since it seems like all this is new to you, I'd recommend a few more than that. Thenm you can just compare their prices.

But don't just ask for a price.

Ask for references, and actually call those references. If you can, go see some of their past work (not always an option, as clients have a right to their privacy, but it's worth asking).

Get the contractors' license number (here, it has to be in all your ads). Get in touch with whichever government agency handles licensing in your area, check the contractor's track record. See if they have a record of complaints, etc.

Ask each one of them to explain how they want to do it, and why. Each interview should teach you a bit more, so that you better know what to ask the next guy.

If anyone wants to just go over the old siding, ask them how they're going to deal with flashing around the windows.

If you hear someone use the words "drainage plane", stop looking, hire that one.

I assume you just got this place? Often a good place to start, instead of the yellow pages, is to ask your neighbours if they know a good contractor.

Where in NE are you?

eastinway

Reaction score
I'm in Massachusetts......and I have had this home for 16 years now.

I found these contractors at a local "home show." They came with a good presentation, siding samples and photos of before and after jobs. I'll keep interviewing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be very wary of a bid that is considerable lower than the rest. They will cut corners somewhere. Maybe they hire inexperienced labor because it is cheap or leave out something. Any bid that is considerably higher than the rest may be from someone who really doesn't want the job, but will take it if you want to pay a premium price. As others have noted: licensed, bonded, local references,length of time in business, how they handled any complaints that might have been lodged, and quality of materials are key points to watch for. Installation of vinyl siding is not the most complex construction job there is, but as in anything, there are ways to screw up if inexperienced people are doing the work.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I left out the most important thing of all. Get a signed written contract that states exactly what will be done, materials that will be used, when the job will be started and when it will be finished, and a total price and when it is to be paid. No verbal agreements, etc..

Cookie

Reaction score
Try looking up, Angie's list, that way you might find reports on the business hoping they would be good ones; or really, ask a neighbor or family member. I always ask my neighbors and can see the work as well.:)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Having hired many contractors now, I would recommend going for a trusted local firm.

Their quote will most likely be below that of a big firm and the work will also most likely be of better quality, especially compared to those big firms that may hire sub-contractors.

And be very wary, as already said, of the lone guy that offers to do it for thousands below the rest. His installation will be below par and he will cut corners which will cost you more sooner than you might think. I've been stung a few times with small jobs like this (and a roof is a big job so you want to be extra careful). Guess who spotted and fixed the mistakes of the cheap guy? Yep the local firm.

I always go for one of the quotes in the middle and normally with the firm I most like (unless they are the most expensive).

Once you know who you want to go with, haggle to get the price down based on the other quotes. They won't know you'll choose them anyway and you might save a bit more or get other "extras".

Or I DIY:)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks