Ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

novice-man

Reaction score
How much do I need to turn the lever to cut off 50% of water flow in 2" copper pipe?

1) exactly turn half between Full open and Full close position?

or

2) 10% more towards close-side than half position?

or

3) 10% less toward open-side than half position?

as you know, the shape of ball in the pipe rotate to open and close, so if turn middle, then how much it actually shut-off?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flow

The closing of the valve is not linear, and since it should NOT be closed 1/2 way, I doubt that anyone has studied it. But closed is probably the same as full open. As for half closed, it would depend on what the flow is whether there was any reduction, or if turbulence would cause more than a 50 % reduction.

tlarson

Reaction score
1/2 the pressure does not equal 1/2 of the flow. The valve will be close (but not exactly) to a sharp edge orifice, so the flow will be related to the pressure in a square root relationship. Probably not worth trying to figure out for a ball valve. Ball valves are not very good metering valves, and should be full open or completely closed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks