Bad Sump Pump and/or Clogged Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhino1

Reaction score
Hope you all can help me.

In the basement of my 4-plex, I have a washing machine that drains into a sink, which in turn drains into a sump pump closed bucket. There is also another sump pump in the basement sitting in a pit, which would handle any flooding on the basement floor. the ABS pipes from both sump pumps meet under the building (not sure if it's a Y or Tee--I need to look again), and then go into galvanized pipe leading out to sewer line. Both sump pumps are Zoeller M53's; the WM Pump is about 15 years old.

I discovered yesterday that: 1) WM Pump bucket was overflowing (water seeping out of the top); 2) WM Pump not working (no noise...nothing) and float in raised position; 3) water from washing machine sitting in basin tub; 4) pit had soapy water in it; and 5) when I manually lifted float on Pit Pump, soapy water drained, but then returned.

Questions-----1) Should WM Pump be thrown away, or are there some fixes I should try? 2) Does it sound like I have a clogged line, or just a non-functioning pump? 3) Could WM pump motor burn out because line was clogged and it couldn't eliminate water from bucket, or is there a thermal shut-off on pump that should have prevented that?

I guess #2 is the most important question---do I have 2 problems here, or just 1?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks