Attention Dittohead and all others!

Users who are viewing this thread

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Last well shock treatment worked. So subtract coliform from the data attached to first page.

What all do you think I should filter for?

I am thinking coliform will come back, so chlorine injection- holding tank - booster pump -back washing carbon filter - softener

You?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I would use a sediment filter at the front end after the pressure tank. It is best to plumb a bypass around it in case there is a failure. I like the Pentek Big Blue housings because the elements are large and non-proprietary. There is a wide selection I found an incredible amount of rocks and sand when I flushed my water heater, all accumulated before I put in filtering. I got 3 20x4.5 housings before deciding to get the backwashing iron+sulfur filter. So what I have now is overkill, but that overkill does not bother me. I leave the first housing empty. I have about 17 months since I changed cartridges.

2. Water softener. Not urgent; 8 grains is not so bad. But it is really nice to have. With your low hardness, you will not go through a lot of salt.

3. Spray bottle and a gallon of distilled water (under $1). That might be a year's supply for light use. Use as final spray when washing windows, computer screen, eyeglasses and maybe fancy glassware to prevent sodium and silica spotting. You have 15.1, silica, which is a nice low concentration, but does not wash off, and you have sodium, which washes off. Calcium and Magnesium are hard to wash off, but after the softener, they will be gone. Some people recommend silica as a supplement. I just think that it is not to be feared. Distilled water is also useful for washing off sodium salts after

Your sulfur levels are low, and you probably do not have smells. Your iron levels are very low. Nice.

Are you even sure that you sufficiently disinfected the tap you took your first sample from? I think a top notch careful disinfection might permanently get rid of the coliform. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing Adding chlorine would seem to be overkill to me, and then you would want an activated carbon backwashing filter to remove the chlorine.

I would not worry about the sodium. 67 mg per liter before softening should be viewed vs typical 3000 mg sodium or 1500 mg recommended for typical low-sodium diets per day. You might consider a drinking water tap from before the softener.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
I installed a RO unit under the sink. Maybe just put in a 2cuft SST60 resin softener and call it good.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
As per the link (4 people), it says I need a 3cuft softener to get a 7 day regen.

Might as well get a 110,000 grain system.

Once again, who wants to sell me one?

110k, fleck or clack valve, SST60 resin
7 gpm currently... 12 gpm in future

Reach4

Reaction score
As per the link (4 people), it says I need a 3cuft softener to get a 7 day regen.
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php
Calculator came up with 1 cuft when I just did it. You are entering 8.3 grains and 0.01 iron, right?

This is without looking at the linked page regarding SFR.

Also, with minimal iron and no chlorine, regular 8% crosslinked resin should be fine. SST-60 is better, but it is significantly more expensive.

Last edited:

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php
Calculator came up with 1 cuft when I just did it. You are entering 8.3 grains and 0.01 iron, right?

This is without looking at the linked page regarding SFR.

Also, with minimal iron and no chlorine, regular 8% crosslinked resin should be fine. SST-60 is better, but it is significantly more expensive.

Don't forget the Magnesium and 4 people.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't forget the Magnesium and 4 people.
I think you entered the magnesium number (9.7) for manganese instead of 0.056. Magnesium and calcium are included in the hardness number.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
You are correct. Why would they ask for hardness and manganese on a separate line?

Reach4

Reaction score
The capacity will not go to waste. You will set the DO to maybe 21 to 28 days with your 0.01 iron. You will have a nice efficient 6 pounds of salt per cubic foot of resin, or maybe even less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks