anyone familiar with outdoor sump pits?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianP

Reaction score
Older house with an outdoor sump pit. Access is via a manhole cover and the pit is about 12 feet deep. There is a pump suspended into the pit. There is a floor drain in the basement that is connected to this pit. Of course if the pump fails, water backs up into the basement. Not sure why they were setup this way. I've replaced the pump a half dozen times in over 20 years and of course it always happens in the middle of winter (right now it's 6 below zero). Not sure if it's even worth considering but should I think about rerouting the foundation drain pipes to a new pit inside the basement? It would be eaiser to monitor and certainly eaiser to replace the pump when the time comes plus would be able to install a backup. When we do get heavy rains, the pump does cycle every ten minutes or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks