Antique Flush valve, need an OLD guy to weigh in.

Users who are viewing this thread

loukky

Reaction score
I recently saw this on one of my FB feeds, the person was asking what it was as the label was unreadable. It is obviously an old flush valve of some sort. I did a google lens search and had no luck. It appears to work similar to a Sloan valve, I think I am seeing a diaphragm on the right that might work on differential pressure and the main flush body with an adjustable spring under the acorn nut on the right. It looks like the tubing running out of the bottom needs to be hooked up to something. Has anyone ever seen this before and know the brand or anything about it? Thanks in advance.
valve.jpg

bingow

Reaction score
Qualified geezer here. No answer, but the bottom two lines appear to read: AMERICAN (unreadable) COMPANY,
ERIE PA. Near the top is a patent #, unreadable. Maybe someone can take that a little further. A better photo of the nameplate would solve the mystery. Here's a doctored crop:

Attachments

• valve 2.jpg
    valve 2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen one like that. I would imagine that the port on the right might be for a bed pan wash.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The J. A. Zurn Manufacturing Company was founded in 1900 by John A. Zurn in Erie, Pennsylvania after purchasing the backwater valve patterns from the Erie City Iron Works. Its industry is plumbing products and accessories and its headquarters were in Erie, Pennsylvania (1900-2016) and Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2016-present). In 1972, the company acquired and merged with the Wilkins Regulator Company. The firm was acquired by Jacuzzi, Inc. in 1998 and by Rexnord, Inc. in 2007.

Just a guess Google erie pa 1920 plumbing manufacturers

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
To me it looks like the flush is coming from above and this is possibly a trap primer or some other accessory. That's mainly a guess.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Is the underside of that circular part threaded? Could you screw a jar on it? To me, it looks like an inline deodorizer that feeds a deodorant via siphoning action on every flush

bingow

Reaction score
Did ASC come up under plumbing? Maybe a cleaning solution? ...
Did not try under plumbing but using full name got hits. If you enter "company" vs "co" you'll get more info on their earlier history. For example, the company president, grandson of the founder, passed away in 2016, age 90. Doesn't appear they made basic plumbing products. I tried Googling patents of devices like OP's photo without a recognizable hit; tons of other amazing stuff, however.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked closely and wild guessed at a trap primer then saw saw the comment fitter30 mentioned a cleaning fluid maybe some kind of sanitizer or freshenor perfume type stuff , like a jar goes on the bottom .

Fitter30

Reaction score

bingow

Reaction score
@loukky if your FB contact took that photo, have him/her try a closeup of that name plate. If we can get most or even just a few of the seven patent #'s, we might nail it. It's an interesting diversion, meanwhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks