Another WAX-RING question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Handiman

Reaction score
Hello, I recently added tile to 2 bathrooms. The tile was laid down around the existing flange to where the tile now sits flush with the top of the flange.

The old toilet sat on the same flange on top of the subfloor perfectly. Since the 1/4" backerboard and 1/4" tile probably added a little more than about 1/2" what would be the best solution for a WAX-RING? Should I go STANDARD or JUMBO?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably a jumbo or two normal ones stacked. Ideally, you would have raised the flange. It's supposed to sit on TOP of the finished floor. You could also add an extender ring, and use a normal wax ring. The wax must squish to seal and fill the space between the toilet horn and the flange. Measure the depth of the socket, and you'll get an idea of how deep the wax must be.

An alternative would be to use a waxless seal, like the Fluidmaster. It has a spout that will accomodate an improperly positioned flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks