Another softener low-flow question

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I had to troubleshoot a pressure tank problem that required draining all the water out and recharging the bladder with air. After completing the work I have noticed that the water flow in the rest of the house is much reduced. After the system was back up to pressure I got quite a bit of brown water & sediment from the taps. My thinking is this sediment has clogged the softener. Flow is excellent in bypass.
Last night I did a regeneration and the flow seems a little bit better but it's still far from what it was previously.

What else can I do?

The softener is a small console unit from Morton with electronic metered control. Can I "trick" it to manually do a long backwash?

Reach4

Reaction score
The softener is a small console unit from Morton with electronic metered control. Can I "trick" it to manually do a long backwash?
If you remove the power during the backwash cycle, most softeners will continue to backwash until the power is restored.

Also look for a cartridge filter that is in the line outside of the softener.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Definitely no prefilter. I could put it in bypass & disconnect the unit to check for an inlet screen--if it's normal for there to be one.

Any risk to "trapping" the unit in the backwash cycle? I wouldn't want to wash out what little resin there is in such a small unit.
Do these little units have a sand filter or anything besides resin in the tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Any risk to "trapping" the unit in the backwash cycle? I wouldn't want to wash out what little resin there is in such a small unit.
Do these little units have a sand filter or anything besides resin in the tank?
They may have a top basket, which is a strainer like thing.

All softeners have a bottom basket (distributor basket). Some have gravel but I suspect yours does not.

I am not a pro. I don't think extending the backwash to 1/2 hour or an hour would cause a problem.

A kink in your drain line would make backwash less effective.

Guy48065

Reaction score
I've got it back to near normal flow now. In the manual I found it has a diagnostic feature that allows me to step thru the cycles. I did that and everything looked normal. I did it a 2nd time and unplugged it in the backwash cycle as suggested and let it run 45 minutes.

Thanks for the tip!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks