Annode Rod Removal - need help!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dickandcol, Nov 8, 2008.

1. dickandcol

dickandcol New Member

Hi, I am trying to remove the annode rod from the top of my water heater and it does not want to move! I started with a half inch Rachet, then went to a strong bar being very careful not to pull too hard, next move is a breaker bar but my common sense said STOP Ask someone! The water heater is almost new , came with our new condo. I am trying to remove it because or a bad smell "Rotten Eggs" and pour a gallon of bleach in the tank to fush the hot water system in our new condo then replace the old rod with a new special rod . This is what the Rheem Techs suggest to do!!
    Can I break anything if I put too much pressure on the Annode Rod??
    I had a plumber tell me he use's a 3/4 inch drive to remove them and has never broken anything but his Knuckles ? Does this sound rite??
    Any Opinions will be appreciated!!!
    Thank's, Dick R

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Impact wrench is often the answer. A four ft. breaker bar helps, but you need Mighty Joe Young to hold on the the water heater so it doesn't spin.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    I've run across some that were so damn tight you couldn't hold the tank from spinning without damaging the piping or nipples. That's when I bought a 1/2" electric impact wrench.

5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    I use a 1/2" electric impact wrench also...

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    anode

Since it is a new heater you should not damage it removing the anode, regardess of whether you use a 4' breaker bar or an impact wrench. Older heaters can have a weld break from the "vibration" of an impact wrench.

7. Jay Mpls

Jay Mpls Master plumber

Master Plumber /Sewer rat
    Sounds as though your place was vacant for some time.I havehad some luck with just flushing them out.Just run the water for quite a while.As stated above,an impact will do fine.

8. dickandcol

dickandcol New Member

Than You!!

Hi, everyone. Thank's for your help! I finally removed the rod with a 1/2 " air gun. I then flushed the tank with bleach,drained and refilled with clean water then drained again, and presto!! NO SMELL in my hot water. I am ordering a special rod from Rheem, R-Tech rod . no telling how long this will last but I have my fingers crossed!! so far so good.
    Thank's again, Dick R