Americast vs. acrylic

Users who are viewing this thread

BlakeleyProperties

Remodeler
Reaction score
I gutted a bathroom and chucked the claw foot tub. Starting the rough in for the house on Monday, and my plumber and I were discussing what kind of tub to put in. Given that we don't really want to wrestle a cast iron tub up a narrow flight of stairs, and our various biases, that narrowed down the choice to acrylic or americast pretty much.

Is there any consensus about which is more durable? I searched americast on this site, and responses seemed all over the place.

Oh, I managed to talk him out of having the tub on site for the rough in by promising to leave the ceiling open under the bathroom, so there's a bit of time

Last edited:

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Is there any consensus about which is more durable? I searched americast on this site, and responses seemed all over the place.

Kinda answered your own question there - everyone has an opinion. We've installed a number of each and i will tell you not all acrylic/fiberglass are created equal. Search here for some threads on quality units - there was a recent one.

Both are durable, and can last decades if installed and taken care of properly. :)

BlakeleyProperties

Remodeler
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping I missed something. Is it fair to say acrylic gets dull, and americast chips? It's going in a rental if that matters.

Not sure what you mean by installed incorrectly? Installing a tub seems pretty straight forward to me... ? Leaving out the usual (and creative.. ) DIY mistakes.

Though I might do something different than a few things I've seen here - specifically, I bed the tub in modified thin set mixed stiff, not regular mortar. Haven't had an issue so far, anyone think it's bad practice?

I've seen a bunch of 100 year old cast iron tubs in great shape... But ugh.

Oh and given sterling is Kohler, the tubs should be as good?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks