Americast Tub creaking

Users who are viewing this thread

kimby

Reaction score
We installed an Americast bathtub during our bathroom remodel. In the process of tiling the surround we have noticed the it creaks ALOT. A ledger board was used, installed at the correct height, and was completely level. The floor at the front apron was slightly out of the level, so some shims were used on the floor. Tub was fastened to studs with the heads of roofing nails at catching flange. The creaking seems to be coming from the tub against studs...in the walls.

We did not put mortar under the tub because the instructing said not to. At this point the tub surround is completely tiled so removing the tub is just not an option.

It seem like the tub needs some kind of support underneath. I wish we had just set it in a bed of mortar.......but to late now. We have access to the plumbing of the tub through an adjacent bedroom wall. We were thinking of trying to reach back and get some expanding foam under there and maybe stop the creaking. Will the foam work/help with support?? Any other ideas.?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kim

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Will the foam work/help with support??
I would not recommend any kind of expanding foam unless you have the skirt screwed down to the floor. There is no telling how it will lift or much it will lift..

Instead of roofing nails, you should have used screws to fasten the ledger board and the tub

The only thing that you can try without removing any walls is: (it may not even help, but its worth a try)

Fill the tub with water as high as it will allow you to (this will push the tub down). Clean and dry the tub where the tiles meet the tub. Remove any loose grout or foreign materials. Fill the void around the entire perimeter where the tiles meet the tub withmildew resistant silicone chaulking. Let it cure for 24 hours with the tub filled with the water. Then release the water (after 24hours have passed) and see if it helped

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a reason that AS specifies no support bed under the tub. I belive it is to allow correct expansion and contraction of the layers. Adding foam under could cause cracking or separation of the porcelain, and would void any warranty.

The shimming may be allowing movement, and at this point, I would be inclined to live with it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just want to reitterate what Jimbo said... Absolutely do not bed this tub unless you want to own a delaminated piece of junk without a warranty!
I do not doubt the shimming is the cause of the creaking.

kimby

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your advice. "Krow"....I will give your caulking advice a try. I also had suspected the shimming...except the weird thing is...it creaks on both ends.....the shimmed end and the non shimmed end. But the tub is completely level.

Does the tub warranty only cover the cost of a new tub ($250) if it fails?? or do they cover all of the labor to replace it?

Now that I know it creaks, (this creaking did not faze my husband in the least and it still does not bother him.....but it REALLY bothers me)...I am almost willing to risk the warranty if the foam would stop the creaking. What about filling with water and using low expansion foam??

Thank again,

Kim

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. What about filling with water and using low expansion foam??
The problem with that is that the foam will continue to expand up to 72 hours (if not more). It is minor expansion, but expansion non the less.

I cannot stress enough how much I am against using expanding foam under a tub. I highly DO NOT recommend it

Your warranty will only cover the damaged tub, not a creaking tub. They have no control on how you choose to install it. Any warranty will not cover labour costs to make it right.

Last edited:

kimby

Reaction score
NO Foam

OK....Got it. NO Foam.

Just to be clear.........if I can't stand the creaking the only other option is to cut out tile, remove amount of concrete board necessary for tub removal and install new tub??

Thanks,
Kim

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
OK....Got it. NO Foam.

Just to be clear.........if I can't stand the creaking the only other option is to cut out tile, remove amount of concrete board necessary for tub removal and install new tub??

Thanks,
Kim
No, I'm under the impression that the tub is still new and not damaged.

Pull out the roofing nails and replace with screws making sure not to crack the tub in the process. Then test it by climbing in and kind of moving around in the tub (take your shoes off lol :D). Fill it with water and see if any creaks occur. That would be the ideal time to make good any flexing or moving tub areas

Rjhavens1

Reaction score
Creak

My Americast creaked during installation. The cause was the roofing nails. Replacing them with screws and rubber washers stopped the creak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only reason it creaks is because it is moving. Adding rubber washers just masks the sound, it is still moving. Movement in the long run can cause the material to weaken and crack. Support underneath would prevent that.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Does the tub warranty only cover the cost of a new tub ($250) if it fails?? or do they cover all of the labor to replace it?

Kim

Almost nothing EVER has a labor warranty. Some exceptions are cars, large and small appliances, and central A/C. Pretty much anything you pick up at the store, and install yourself, you are on your own.

In the plumbing arena, if you pay a contractor to furnish and install your stuff, he will apply an appropriate markup on the material to cover his warranty exposure. This is a perennial topic on the forum. Some homeowners will pick up a faucet at HD because they see it costs less than what the plumber would charge, and then still expect him to warrant it.

As for your creak, is there anyway you can access inside the wall, from the backside, to slip some rubber in where the tub rubs on the stud or stringer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks