Americast or cast iron tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sparks98, Mar 6, 2005.

?

Which is best? "Americast" or "Cast Iron" tubs

1. Cast Iron Tubs

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Americast Tubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sparks98

sparks98 Electrician

Is Americast equally as strong as a cast iron tub (like they claim)? Do Americast tubs need mortar under the bottom to give them the cast feel? I'm putting in tile on the walls and above the tub, so I DO NOT want to EVER have to rip all that tile out because of a CHEAP tub.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

It is adeqately strong, but whether it is as strong as cast iron is questionable. You do not have to "shore" it up.
  3. americast is junk

all americast is , basically a cheap steel tub with an epoxy resin base .'

I dont like them, they have a tendency to lose their luster after only a few years. the americast kitchen sinks do wear out fast.

also if you drop something in the unit, you can chip the tub....

even cast iron will chip... but its more durable and it looks good after a long while.

acutally, I feel that the Sterling bath fixtures are as good as any for durability.

If you put concrete under one it feels like cast iron and it wont ever chip.

Short of takeing a claw hammer to it, it is literally indestructable.
  4. raygunclan

raygunclan New Member

we have an americast sink that has rusted all around the edge. this would maybe be acceptable if it were, oh, say, 100 years old!
    sincerely,
    girl who removes rust with white paint :rolleyes:
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vote

That is a matter of individual preference. I will use either depending on the circumstances. I do not consider one necessarily "better" than the other, although for my own use, I would use cast iron.