American Standard seat

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by glenndee, Jun 18, 2006.

1. glenndee

glenndee New Member

Hello,

Looking for some input I appreciate the help in advance. What I have is an American Standard 1 piece toliet Gray in color. I am in need of a grey seat to match. It appears to be a standard round seat, but the problem is with the seat lid. When the seat lid is raised it does NOT fit between the recess of the tank lid. It looks to be slightly wide, striking the tank lid pushing it back off the tank. The markings under the Tank lid are as follows :

F 2005 58
    Oct 10 1955
    C55 Made in USA

The Bowl is clearly marked American Standard.The Round seat part seems to fit ok, just a problem with the lid. Is it a special American Standard and if so where do get a grey one...Thanks a lot in adavance

Glenn
  2. glenndee

glenndee New Member

Follow Up..Marked "standard"

oops...Just went and looked again. The Bowl is marked "Standard" in blue. Not American Standard. Is it American standard or something else ?

Thanks again!

Glenn
  3. It is an older American Standard.

At that age, it could be a specialty seat long out of production. But to get your color, the Bemis Color Match will fix you up. It's about $70 on Bemis' website; you can find it on the auction sites for almost half that much.
  4. glenndee

glenndee New Member

Thanks!...Am I looking for a particular model ? Would it have a style name ? I have looked on places like E*** and other internet stores and nothing points to this seat. Most just say either elongated or round. I purchased a round seat and the lid did not fit.

Glenn
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The brand used to be just "Standard" and at some point was changed to "American Standard". Old specialty seats can be hard to find, especially in colors other than white. Contact AM. Std. with you model number ; they should be able to help.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

seat

That toilet uses a standard round front seat. From your descsription, it appears that the real problem is the seat design. If it is only the lid that is hitting the tank cover, then you have to find one with a shorter lid. If it is the entire seat that hits the tank cover, then there may be no solution. But, in most cases, the toilet combination was not designed so that the seat did not hit the tank cover. That was not one of the concerns of the toilet designer, so if yours happens to have a tank almost the same height as the seat is long, I would suspect it is an accident of design, rather than intentional.
  7. glenndee

glenndee New Member

Thank to of ya'll for quick replies...Might be time for a new Toliet. The new lid is the same length as the old lid...Just slightly wider causing it not "fit" in the recess of the tank lid when open.

Have a great week!
    And thanks gain!
    Glenn