Air in hot water side of faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

trifive

Reaction score
I recently installed a small (6.5 gallon) hot water tank in my shop bathroom. It supplies hot water to 1 faucet. Each time I turn the faucet on I get air sputtering out and a slightly brown discolored water. I don't use the bathroom and hot water more then a few times per month. Now I don't get any hot water but still get air...could the air in the tank have caused the element to some how burn out? The tank has always had water in it so the element hasn't been exposed. I used 3/4" CPVC coming and 1/2 " going to the sink and toilet.

so far I've cycled the power and turned on the pop off valve a few times....

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the element is ever exposed to the air (i.e., not submerged completely) and it turns on, it will die quickly.

One thing that can cause gas to accumulate in a tank is if the anode reacts with your particular water chemistry. Check with a plumber to see if that situation is common...if so, changing the anode to a different type might resolve that problem. A second potential way to get air in the tank is if you are on a well and the pump is inserting it because the well is not producing enough water. Other than that, once you've purged air from the tank, it should never really accumulate any. I might have missed something...

As long as there is power to the tank, if it does not produce hot water, it can only really be one (or both) of two things: the thermostat is shot, or the element is. Both are replaceable and fairly easy to test if you have the right tool and knowledge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks