Air Compressor for Irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

Collin E

Reaction score
I have a 16 zone irrigation system that waters my 1.5 acre yard and my flower beds. Our irrigation installer charges $150/visit to blow out the lines. After several years, this price adds up. I’m looking into buying an air compressor that can blow out our system. I currently have a 5 gallon dewalt with 2.4 scfm and it can only cover the front yard. Any recommendations on products? Would prefer 110 hookup or gas. Don’t want to run wires to install a 220.

BiG_Mackenzie

Reaction score
I think that a Dewalt 30 gallon air compressor is a good option for your irrigation system. I am using it in my workplace for some years and I didn't have problems with it. It is an oil-lubricated compressor that can manage tough jobs efficiently. Every feature that is included in this air compressor is designed to enhance convenience and performance. More reviews about it, you can read on https://kylesgarage.com/dewalt-30-gallon-air-compressor-review/. I highly suggest it and it will help you a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A compressor that can run off a 110 VAC is going to be you limiting factor unless it has a very large tank. The CFM limit is in the high 4 to low 5 cfm for a compressor that runs on 110 VAC. You need enough sustained air flow to blow out most of the water. If you have zones with a lot of head on them, it makes it more difficult. I have a larger compressor that run on a 240 40A circuit to do my 1/2 acre yard. You can make do with a smaller compressor, you just have to let the compressor fill up the tank and cool off and blow out each zone a few times. Yeah 16 zone and a little compressor is going to take a while. A gas powered one is an option, I would say look for something that does 10 cfm or more and that has a 100% duty cycle. A large tank isn't going to make things go any faster. The tank on an air compressor is to minimize short cycling and help for short periods (seconds) of high demand. I guess buying a suitable compressor would make sense in the long run, but renting once a year might be better if you have no other use for it and you have way to pick it up and drop it off.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
150 bucks a year vs renting a compressor , or purchasing compressor and how many hours blowing it out? could very well be worth it.

Reaction score
If you are only going to do this once a year, buying a gas compressors you have to deal with dragging the compressor out from where you stored it. Get it up and running, use it, then winterize it and store it away for next year. If winterizing the compressor and get likely fighting with the carb a few years down the road is within your abilities go for it. I take care of my gas power outdoor equipment and the stuff that rarely gets used is usually the more fickle equipment. The stuff that is use all year around except winter still works like new. Even the 14 year old string trimmer works like new. The pressure washer that's less than 5 years old and used a couple of times a year always needs fiddling with.

Renting one, if you can get it home is probably $40 - $50 and no hassle of maintaining it. Buying one ~$1000.

Electric compressor big enough to do it easily ~$600, plus running the electric for it. Very little maintenance. Hopefully you could find other uses for it. The compressor does not need to be near the blow out point you can run a long air hose.

For a compressor that plugs into a 110 outlet, looks for a compressor that can do 5 or more cfm and has 20 gallon or bigger tank, bigger the tank the better. But be prepared to take time to let the compressor cool off and for it to refill the tank. You could also rig up some fitting to join two compressors together to get more volume of air. Just make sure to plug the compressors into different circuits (ideally not on the same 110 branch). With two compressors running in parallel you could get a similar performance as a larger 220 compressor.

If you're not handy or the initial outlay isn't feasible, start calling for a better price from someone else. Talk with your neighbors and see if you can everyone done on the same day.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the land were level, I wonder if a leaf blower would do the job.

Reaction score
No go on the leaf blower or a shop vac exhaust. The type of impellers they use basically stop producing pressure and flow if you restrict the outlet to much. They just stir up the air a little. There are blowers that might work, but they are more expensive and less readily available. A shopvac can blow out pool line (maybe not a bottom drain), but they are much bigger in diameter and much shorter and don't have a sprinkler head on the end either.

You might be able to vacuum out the water, but it would be a challenge too. I would guess vacuuming from the head on the end of a run would be best if the supply side were open to atmosphere. But you will run in the zones with many ends. Just as blowing out, you still be to move the air and water with some velocity to get most of the water out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could even get a business going charging others If I could buy a compressor and get it done in a few hours I'd do it but much more than that might not but a lot of guys doing 2 houses in one day for 300 would be happy. beats heck outta flipping burgers for 300 a week even 20 houses a year 3000 bucks a little cash to spend on something. plus you'll have a real nice compressor or a generator to power whatever needs including a compressor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks