Advice Regarding Dryer Cord

Users who are viewing this thread

dcw

Reaction score
Hello, looking for a bit of advice here regarding replacing the cord for a dryer. I recently purchased a set of front loaders and was looking to install them under-counter in the utility room. I wanted to make it easier to pull them each out in the event of maintenance or cleaning behind them, nothing crazy, just 8ft or so. I have on hand a roll of 8/4 sjoow cord and when I went out to purchase an appropriate plug, was strongly warned off doing this by the big box electrical 'pro.' I couldn't really get any specifics out of him, but figured it was probably a liability issue. Any one out there have any experience out there that could help? Thanks,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Buy a 6' dryer cord with a molded plug. It will let you pull the machine out far enoughto either move it aside or to unplug it if you need more room

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Most dryer cords are 4 feet long and plenty long enough to allow access.

I would never try and make up a dryer cord for any reason.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They also make 72" ones, which is what I used on my dryer, partly because I had to interchange the dryer and washer because of the door swings and I did not wish to reverse them. That put the dryer more than 48" from the outlet.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I say go for it. Every wood flooring contractor in the world has a collection of home-made 240V
power cords for their big sanding machines. Ditto for those who need to run welders in a residential
setting. I've never seen a problem with them. Don't EVER listen to those guys at the Big Box. Just
buy their nice 30A/50A plugs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If he buys a "nice" plug, it may cost as much as the 72" dryer cord. Plus the fact that winding a piece of #8 around the terminal may NOT make a very good connection.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What I'm trying to picture is where the jack is mounted in relation to the under-counter appliance. Usually there is no room behind the appliance unless an extra deep counter top is used. Most every factory made plug I've seen is a right-angle low-profile design that doesn't protrude very far. I've yet to see a screw-on plug that is low-profile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks