Advice Regarding Dryer Cord

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by dcw, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dcw

dcw New Member

Hello, looking for a bit of advice here regarding replacing the cord for a dryer. I recently purchased a set of front loaders and was looking to install them under-counter in the utility room. I wanted to make it easier to pull them each out in the event of maintenance or cleaning behind them, nothing crazy, just 8ft or so. I have on hand a roll of 8/4 sjoow cord and when I went out to purchase an appropriate plug, was strongly warned off doing this by the big box electrical 'pro.' I couldn't really get any specifics out of him, but figured it was probably a liability issue. Any one out there have any experience out there that could help? Thanks,
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Buy a 6' dryer cord with a molded plug. It will let you pull the machine out far enoughto either move it aside or to unplug it if you need more room
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Most dryer cords are 4 feet long and plenty long enough to allow access.

I would never try and make up a dryer cord for any reason.
  4. hj

They also make 72" ones, which is what I used on my dryer, partly because I had to interchange the dryer and washer because of the door swings and I did not wish to reverse them. That put the dryer more than 48" from the outlet.
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

I say go for it. Every wood flooring contractor in the world has a collection of home-made 240V
    power cords for their big sanding machines. Ditto for those who need to run welders in a residential
    setting. I've never seen a problem with them. Don't EVER listen to those guys at the Big Box. Just
    buy their nice 30A/50A plugs.
  6. hj

If he buys a "nice" plug, it may cost as much as the 72" dryer cord. Plus the fact that winding a piece of #8 around the terminal may NOT make a very good connection.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

What I'm trying to picture is where the jack is mounted in relation to the under-counter appliance. Usually there is no room behind the appliance unless an extra deep counter top is used. Most every factory made plug I've seen is a right-angle low-profile design that doesn't protrude very far. I've yet to see a screw-on plug that is low-profile.