Advice please to stop leak on my pressure washer at the hose connection

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
I tried plumbers tape but it leaks really bad..I hope there is something I can do, that maybe I don't know about.
There's a knob on the pressure washer that I turn to thread it onto the hose end..it's not easy to turn because it's located right next to the wheel but it's seems tight enough.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe you lost the rubber washer? Maybe the end of your hose is bent so it does not seal properly against the rubber washer?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What end are you talking about? A garden hose it used to connect from the hydrant to a pressure washer, either gas or electric. Cheap garden hoses use a stamp metal male end that deforms very easy and the female end to the was spigot is usually just as cheap. As LLigetfa stated, you may lost the washer for the garden hose female end.

The pressure washer end the female collar does rotate to thread on the garden hose. Check for a washer inside the collar.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A pressure washer connector for the garden hose. It can be a little tough to hand tighten it but it is OK for it to leak a little. Don't not tighten it down using a wrench. Just a snug fit. But without a washer it will leak too much. Do get a washer with the filter screen. Getting debris inside the pump can ruin your day. I had a dead gecko inside the garden hose and it jammed up the screen and no water went through. In Florida we have more gecko's than birds.

hose-connect-pw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Or the hose washer is just deteriorated. They are cheap. Sometimes the round cross-section ones work better, and sometimes the flat ones work better.

hayley3

Reaction score
Maybe you lost the rubber washer? Maybe the end of your hose is bent so it does not seal properly against the rubber washer?
I have a washer in the hose end and the pressure washer came with a washer. The water is mostly coming out from behind the knob that I turn to connect the hose. It doesn't seem to be where the hose inserts but hard to tell with the water gushing out.

hayley3

Reaction score
Ok it seems that the behind the knob there is a nut that goes onto the threaded section which is the pressure washer's hose outlet, and it is leaking right there. Is there a tool that I can use to tighten it more. My fingers can't get in there to get enough force. Also maybe I could try plumber's putty on the bare threads???? The silver nut behind the black knob is what I need to tighten.

Pressure washer outlet with knob.JPG
Pressure washer outlet.JPG

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
pipe dope on those threads and a plumbers tool called a basin wrench probebly any cheap one will work if you dont do any plumbing then its not like your out much

hayley3

Reaction score
pipe dope on those threads and a plumbers tool called a basin wrench probebly any cheap one will work if you dont do any plumbing then its not like your out much
Thank you....looking up pipe dope now. After taking it off and screwing it back on again, the leak is a LOT less. Whew! Can't believe I might get it fixed!

Last edited:

hayley3

Reaction score
A pressure washer connector for the garden hose. It can be a little tough to hand tighten it but it is OK for it to leak a little. Don't not tighten it down using a wrench. Just a snug fit. But without a washer it will leak too much. Do get a washer with the filter screen. Getting debris inside the pump can ruin your day. I had a dead gecko inside the garden hose and it jammed up the screen and no water went through. In Florida we have more gecko's than birds.
I completely missed your reply. And poor little gecko , awww, they are so cute.

hayley3

Reaction score
Or the hose washer is just deteriorated. They are cheap. Sometimes the round cross-section ones work better, and sometimes the flat ones work better.
I completely missed your reply also. The pressure washer is brand new (cheap and made in China)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ok it seems that the behind the knob there is a nut that goes onto the threaded section which is the pressure washer's hose outlet, and it is leaking right there. Is there a tool that I can use to tighten it more.
It doesn't look like there is room to get a commonly available tool such as a basin wrench in there. The threads on it are straight, not tapered so it relies on the blue washer for a seal. That said, applying thread sealant might help to seal it and also keep it from coming loose.

You might consider screwing a male GHT to NPT adapter into the "knob" fitting until it is very tight and then putting a wrench on the adapter to tighten the "knob" fitting.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When tightening the hose end to the "knob", after the threads are snug, tighten it further by turning the hose part, not the knob. Turning the knob to tighten could end up loosening the entire fitting. When it comes time to remove the hose, turn the knob to loosen so that you don't loosen the entire fitting.

Consider adding a quick connector so that you don't have to turn the knob every time you connect the hose.

hayley3

Reaction score
I have the basin wrench and pipe dope on order...It's not the knob it's the nut behind the knob, just to be clear.

hayley3

Reaction score
Just an update, the basin wrench does not fit in there. Any other tools?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It doesn't look like there is room to get a commonly available tool such as a basin wrench in there. The threads on it are straight, not tapered so it relies on the blue washer for a seal. That said, applying thread sealant might help to seal it and also keep it from coming loose.

You might consider screwing a male GHT to NPT adapter into the "knob" fitting until it is very tight and then putting a wrench on the adapter to tighten the "knob" fitting.
^this^

hayley3

Reaction score

The gray knob screws onto the hose. The knob is not the issue. The silver nut behind the knob needs to be tightened. Unless I am misunderstanding you, I don't see how that will help. But tomorrow I will take it off and take a picture.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the theory is that if there is a hose thread tightened into place, there will be some friction between the zinc part and the gray plastic part. Then the torque that you can apply with your right hand can be assisted by the left twisting the hose.

I wonder what the thread is on that white piece. If you could extend that, you could get easier access. Could be metric. Could be NPS.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought tapered pipe thread ? how about a nipple a coupling? its pretty easy I think I could easily tighten that adapter another way but cant explain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks