Advice on sewage backup with belly in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mseti

Reaction score
Here's a video of the main sewage line: https://streamable.com/c08dxu

House was built in 2009, I only lived here for 2 years.

Suddenly, after draining a bathtub, the basement main sewage drain backed up. I had no issues with backup anywhere else in the house nor known any issues from the past.

I called the plumber and he snaked, jetted, and tried to clear the scum off the sides of the pipe. However, he stated that there is a large belly/sump in the pipe (approximately 26 feet of it) and that to fix it will cost approximately $10000 dollars.

Here's the thing, I am not planning on staying in the house longer than a few more years and am also planning to sell the house.

I asked the plumber how long this bandaid solution would work and it seems like there's an inconclusive answer, granted, he doesn't know what I could be putting down the drains. So my questions are:

Do you think that if I treat the drains well, could I last a few more years?

Is the belly bad enough that it's an emergency and requires immediate action?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it ok if it backs up again? or do you need 100 percent chance it wont happen again? If the latter then have work done. 2 years with one problem perhaps jet the sewer every year, use care on the drains as far as garbage disposal, baby wipes and such. Maybe blast it out with a garden hose or do your own jetting .
Couldnt view the video, but its hard to say "how bad an installation is good enough to work" if that makes sence but a belly is never good. Good Luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks