Advice on how to run supply lines for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

michaelk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing the shower in my basement bathroom and am wondering how to run the new supply lines.

The existing supply lines are in the 'next joist bay' over from where they will need to be for the shower valve. They also are run direclty on top of the top plate of the wall...

Should I install a tee off the line going up and then put in two 90* elbows so it goes down through the top plate? Or maybe do the same thing but use PEX so I don't have to solder right on the plate itself? Or notch the top plate to make room? Or just shift the supply lines up a few inches to give me space to work?

Here's a picture of the area in question. Please excuse my horrible art/drawing skills....

IMG_2650.jpg

And here's a shot showing the existing cold water line, the hot water line is similar, just not visible.

IMG_2651.jpg

Any/all ideas will be appreciated!
mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with your plan. I would suggest you sweat copper nipples on the adapters that go into the valve. Screw the adapter in. Then you can sweat fittings and additional pipe without fear of damaging the valve with too much heat. There very well could be some pro that will nitpick my answer, and it would be wise to heed them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks