Adding Utility Sink - Trap Height Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by kucharskimb, Oct 12, 2005.

1. kucharskimb

kucharskimb New Member

Hi, from the New Guy...

I would like to add a utility sink in my garage. The area that i would like to install is on the opposite side of the wall that has the washing machine.

the washing machine has a vertical drain, which then runs horizontal for 18" before teeing into the vent-waste stack (1). below this tee, there is a clean out. the cleanout is just above the bottom wall plate (2). directly below the wall plate, the vertical drain turns horizontal, and heads for the main waste line (3).

the problem is that (2) is about 18" above the garage floor. i don't think the utility sink legs are tall enough to allow me to tie in high enough into the stack, even if i make the down tube to the trap very short.

what is the lowest point that i can tie in my trap to this dwv?

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

I hope you have not drawn the drain exactly as it is installed, otherwise there is no trap on the washing machine drain. You can install the tee up to a point about 3" below the sink's bottom, but that gets pretty tight to make the connection.
  3. kucharskimb

kucharskimb New Member

thanks for the reply. i guess my question is less of the sink question, and more of the tie-in question...

how low in my drawing can i tie-in a sink drain?

can i put a double Y at the clean out (2)?
    can i put a Y where it turns horizontal (3), and continue the horizontal to my sink?