Adding Shower to Existing Roman Tub set up...

Users who are viewing this thread

wacosta

Reaction score
I've got a beautiful whirlpool tub, but now need to add a shower set up. Will use exposed pipes once we figure this out.

So the question is -

Can I add a diverter to the existing set up (under the faucet perhaps or in line is possible) and plumb from that to a shower?
I really don't want to replace the existing fixtures.

Other option is to be a little funky and add an exposed shower on the other end of the tub (have a good 18" of oak decking and supply line access there. Is it possible to create an exposed shower set up? I really am on a tight budget and don't want to spend any more than I have to.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You went off the tracks as soon as you use the words "roman tub" and "tight budget" in the same sentence.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll need something like a circular shower curtain to contain the spray in the tub confines. This look doesn't please everyone. Then, unless there is already something like a handspray you could extend, the easiest thing might be to replace the tub spout with one that has a shower hose, diverter, and takeoff in it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
without a picture showing your existing faucet, there is no way we can comment on whether it is adaptable to a shower unit. The most likely scenario is that it IS adaptable, but then the question becomes how do you do it? To answer that we need the picture.

wacosta

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Will post a few photos soon. Appreciate all the help.
Already have the circle shower curtain (an ugly but functional necessity).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks