Adding laundry sink and washer to existing standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

mowe

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to add a laundry sink to my basement and drain both the washer and sink into the existing standpipe. Can you guys please let me know how my proposed layout looks and help me with a few questions?

1. Do you guys see any issues draining the sink in line with the 2" washer drain provided the horizontal surfaces are all sloped properly?
2. Can I use a studor p-trap vent under the sink and not have to run a vent line all the way to the sink (as shown by the dotted line in the picture)?
3. Can I skip the washer p-trap since the existing stand pipe i'm draining into has one or will I need it to keep from smelling the funk that'll develop before the existing standpipe?
4. What is the minimum length the washer standpipe can be from tee to top of standpipe? I'd like to minimize the height of the washer box.

Here's my proposed layout:

WP_20140510_18_37_02_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the help.

P.S. The dimension from washer drain pipe to existing standpipe is 34".

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a lot of issues. The p-trap can't be below the floor for the washer. Also the way the vent is done would allow sewer gas to enter the living space from the washer drainpipe. I think the run is too long for the 1.5 " pipe before the vent.

mowe

Reaction score
There are a lot of issues. The p-trap can't be below the floor for the washer. Also the way the vent is done would allow sewer gas to enter the living space from the washer drainpipe. I think the run is too long for the 1.5 " pipe before the vent.

Wouldn't the standpipe p-trap in the floor prevent sewer gas from entering the house?
EDIT: I see what you mean, the vent is currently jumping the in floor p-trap, letting the sewer gas into the system. Thanks.

And I've never heard that a washer p-trap cant be below the floor. Why is that and where is it stated in the code books? If this is true then that means most older homes are not to code since their washers drain into floor standpipes, all of which have p-traps below the floor line.

The 1.5" vent line would be within 42", which is code, but my question was can I avoid that vent run with a studor p-trap vent and still be code compliant?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The good thing is that it is a very nice drawing. The bad thing is that almost everything about it is wrong.
1. The "P" trap under the floor is not a good idea, but even if it were permitted it could NOT go where you show it.
2. The vent for the underfloor trap is connected wrong, and either it is not necessary, or it CANNOT connect back to the 2" riser.
3. If you put a "P" trap on the sink, (and one on the washer like you should), then you will have a "double trap" situation and nothing will drain, but a studor/AAV would be completely useless.
4. If you do not put a "P" trap at the washer, then IT will act as a vent and thus the sink would not need either a vent or AAV.
5. Maybe "most older homes have traps under the floor" in your area, but that is not the case in most regions
6. That long drain line between the sink and "P" trap would become "fouled" and give you more odors than an open drain line would.
7. Scrap the whole drawing and start over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks