adding a toilet with a sanitary tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Flushedup

Reaction score
I would like to add a toilet and the waste line is directly under where it can go, about 5 feet from the stack. My question is can I cut the waste line and put a sanitary in tee facing up and drop a short pipe into the top of it then hook up the flange. Or do I need to put the sanitary tee on its side and then run a closet el into it? I'm thinking that I need the closet el to make it woosh and keep on going but that will require cutting the floor joist and if I have to do that then so be it.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
How much depth do you have to play with?
(how far below finished floor is the waste line (center).)
As well, what size is the waste line?
Do you have a vent stack near?
Is the wall the toilet is going against finished?
Is there any other plumbing in the room on the same wall?
Is the area above this room attic?
Have you done much plumbing in the past?

Lots of info required to give a proper answer....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You can't use a tee, and you must have a vent between the connection and the toilet. Otherwise when another toilet is flushed, and you are sitting on the toilet, the "whoosh" may go the other way and give you a wet surprise.

Flushedup

Reaction score
The toilet will be going against a finished wall. There is a crawl space up above and this toliet would be on the second floor. I have a little less than 8" between the floor and the ceiling down below. The waste line is 3" pvc. There used to be another toilet upstream from this but it was removed, now the only thing that feeds into it line is a bathtub. I measured a Y and it was 10" so that would be too tall to fit into the floor cavity that's why I was hoping that I could put a sanitary tee in but it doesn't sound like I can or did you mean that I couldn't drop straight down into the sanitary tee but maybe come off the side of it? Besides a Y what else could I use? I can't see how the old toilet was installed but there must be some way since a 2nd floor bath is common. How about a 90 degree el with a low heel inlet? I could reduce the line to 2" to fit the heel. In answer to the question on how much plumbing I have done, not that much but enough to feel that I can tackle this without getting into trouble with it. Tanks for any information

The vent can come off the top of the tee
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Flushedup

Reaction score
The toilet will be going against a finished wall. There is a crawl space up above and this toliet would be on the second floor. I have a little less than 8" between the floor and the ceiling down below. The waste line is 3" pvc. There used to be another toilet upstream from this but it was removed, now the only thing that feeds into it line is a bathtub. I measured a Y and it was 10" so that would be too tall to fit into the floor cavity that's why I was hoping that I could put a sanitary tee in but it doesn't sound like I can or did you mean that I couldn't drop straight down into the sanitary tee but maybe come off the side of it? Besides a Y what else could I use? I can't see how the old toilet was installed but there must be some way since a 2nd floor bath is common. How about a 90 degree el with a low heel inlet? I could reduce the line to 2" to fit the heel. In answer to the question on how much plumbing I have done, not that much but enough to feel that I can tackle this without getting into trouble with it. Thanks for any information

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
flushedup said:
The waste line is 3" pvc ... the only thing that feeds into it line is a bathtub ...
I was hoping that I could put a sanitary tee in but it doesn't sound like I can or did you mean that I couldn't drop straight down into the sanitary tee but maybe come off the side of it?

Is there a vent upstream of that tub, or between that tub and the toilet you want to install? This might not be ideal, and others here know the actual codes, but in my old house, my vent is upstream of the toilet that dumps into a sanitary tee with the kitchen sink coming in behind (from upstream) to help keep the line clear ... and I have no trouble with it.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Talk about venting BEFORE anything else.

since you haven't mentioned whether there is venting before or after the proposed connection, I conclude that THIS is what you need to focus on and understand before anything else. I could be wrong. Maybe you have told us where the vent is, and I just haven't seen it in your postings yet.

Venting is like blood circulation; without it you have so many problems!!

The geometry (T's, Y's) depends on venting also. Your answer you seek to your question depends on venting.

The long list of questions above includes a question on venting. That is the first question to answer.

After you answer that, the other questions can be answered.

david

Flushedup

Reaction score
I don't think there is a vent for the waste line now that I look at it again, I think that the vent is the other direction towards the bathtub. I would be cutting into the 3" waste line and adding the toilet. The bathtub would run past this new toilet. Hope this helps. I could put another vent in the line but It would have to be in the wall behind the toilet which would make it about a foot away. I would have to come off of the waste line with a tee and pipe off to the right then go up the wall. I believe there is a vent line in this wall already but it's only about 18" or so off the floor. It wouldn't be too much to tie into this line though.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If the bathtub is vented and dumps into the waste line upstream from your proposed toilet, then your waste line is also serviced (at least indirectly) by that same vent. The thing you do not want here is for the water to be pulled from the trap under your tub whenever the toilet is flushed, and that will not happen as long as there is some kind of venting available to the waste line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks