Adding a small powder room to garage, in place of an old shower

Users who are viewing this thread

patryk

Reaction score
Hello. I am located in Florida. I got rid of an old shower in the garage which was already there when I bought the house. I am looking to build a small half bathroom with a toilet and sink, where the shower was located. It had a 2" drain under concrete slab which is most likely tied to the vent pipe that is used by the washing machine. Bathrooms and main drain are located on the other side of the house so I guess my best option is to install a macerator toilet and use the showers drain.

I am not sure if I can use the same vent pipe with a macerator toilet, if not, I was thinking about installing Saniflo SaniCompact which has a forced main and doesn't need a vent. Would any of these two options work?

I was also thinking of adding an Air Admittance Valve before the sinks p trap. Is it a good idea? Can I use a regular macerator pump with a AAV or I would still need to use the one with forced main?

I will remove showers p trap and use the showers water line that is coming directly from the water heater. The sink drain would be connected to the macerator.

Are any permits required for that job, since I am not replacing or adding any major plumbing other than removing the p trap?

I attached a rough picture of how it would look like. The plumbing in pink color is what is being new. I would appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 101

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Permit required, verify with your authority having jurisdiction . I would think there is a vent required for the lav Id prefer a real vent over a aav

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Saniflo requires a vent to purge the air that the waste is displacing. Any sealed vessel requires that. Since the trap arm isn't going directly into a vented sump, then yes, the sink requires a vent to break the siphon at the trap arm.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Saniflo requires a vent to purge the air that the waste is displacing. Any sealed vessel requires that. Since the trap arm isn't going directly into a vented sump, then yes, the sink requires a vent to break the siphon at the trap arm.
I agree but saniflo specificaly states that toilet does not require a vent so Id call that a grey area. However all lavs require vents and per Saniflo must follow code for venting lav.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks