Adding a sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ac21

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to install a sink into the laundry room to the left of the washer and dryer. I have been reading online and am a bit confused on how to do connect the drain in properly. Attached is a picture of the laundry room from when the house was framed. Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 4R3A1888.jpg
    4R3A1888.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 107

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would install a tee above the washer's connection, but you probably cannot get the sink drain past the washer's riser, so the sink in the middles would be the easiest installation.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about something like this?

The standpipe could be shortened to as little as 18 inches.
img_3.jpg

ac21

Reaction score
Great! Thanks all. That's what I will do. I should be able to run the pipe from the sink straight over as that wall is framed with 2x6 to go around the washer pipe.

laundry-tray-moen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
How deep is that sink going to be?

I don't like how we have to distrub the long drain from the upper floor, which works without leaks.

The sink can share the same p-trap as the washing machine drain, and can be added without stopping the daily lives of the upper floor folks.

A lot of double-sinks are drained this way, and it is fine. Each of the double sinks don't need their own p-trap. Water drained from one sink doesn't backflow into the other one. Same here, water from the washing machine will drain correctly thru the p-trap.
Terrylove ac21 Adding a sink.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks